U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement now says it did not purchase the former warehouse in Chester, reversing an earlier confirmation sent to News 12 and calling the original statement a “mistake.”
In a statement to News 12, an ICE spokesperson said, “ICE has not purchased a facility in Chester, New York. That statement was sent without proper approval, and this mistake has since been rectified.”
Federal officials had confirmed to News 12 last Friday that the property at 29 Elizabeth Drive had been purchased and could house up to 1,500 detainees as part of expanded detention capacity in New York.
ICE’s updated statement did not explain how the earlier confirmation was issued or clarify the current status of the property.
The agency added, “Regardless, every day, DHS is conducting law enforcement activities across the country to keep Americans safe. It should not come as news that ICE will be making arrests in states across the U.S. and is actively working to expand detention space.”
The retraction comes as the Department of Homeland Security faces scrutiny over its public communications, with reports this week that DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin is stepping down amid credibility concerns tied to other enforcement controversies.
The initial confirmation on Friday quickly sparked controversy across the Hudson Valley. The issue has divided the community, with opponents organizing protests and raising concerns about transparency and impact, while supporters argue the detention center is necessary for public safety and stronger immigration enforcement.
News 12 has also confirmed that no sale documents have been filed with the Orange County Clerk’s Office. Officials say real estate transactions of this magnitude would typically generate recorded documents within days of closing.
Chester Town Supervisor Brandon Holdridge said the reversal “doesn’t bode well for anyone’s confidence in them doing their jobs correctly.”
He added that town officials have repeatedly reached out to federal authorities without response.
“Since the beginning — we would know if there was any communication, and there’s no communication. We’ve sent multiple inquiries and letters to them. They haven’t talked to anybody,” Holdridge said.
Holdridge also said he believes ICE may still pursue the site.
“I believe they still want to purchase the facility and just that someone jumped the gun. I think they’re still going to move forward in trying to get it,” he said.
Immigration activist Roni Banderas called the back-and-forth “very strange.”
“Them going back on their word is just very concerning at that level, but we know that’s what they’ve been doing around the country,” Banderas said.
Congressman Pat Ryan also criticized the reversal.
“They’re not just thugs; they’re incompetent lying thugs. Even more evidence this plan is half-baked, dangerous, and unconstitutional. We’re not giving up this fight — now is the time to get even louder and get ICE out of Chester for good,” Ryan said.
It remains unclear whether the Chester site is still under consideration or what prompted the conflicting statements. A federal floodplain notice previously posted by the Department of Homeland Security indicated ICE was proposing to purchase and rehabilitate the property. As of Wednesday, the notice is no longer available on the DHS website.
News 12 has reached out to ICE for further clarification and is awaiting a response.